A year ago today the nurse told us that Sophie's heart was failing and we wouldn't be able to wait till Monday to do the Exit Procedure. That terrified us because they had us under the impression that the Exit Procedure was the only way she would live. It involved doing a complicated c-section that would leave her connected to the umbilical cord so I could do the breathing for her during the surgery. It's extremely rare and they spent the entire week previous talking with docs in Pennsylvania getting instructions on how it could be done. Having to do an emergency c-section meant that we wouldn't have everyone we needed to do that, but we would have Dr. Doug Barnhart and he was going to be the surgeon anyway so that was reassuring. They finally came to get us a few hours later. We were more than ready, whatever happened at least the waiting would be over.
.jpg) |
| Coden all scrubbed up and ready to go! |
 |
In the O.R. I look like a nun. The meds they gave me made me SO unbelievably cold and shaky so they wrapped me up with hot towels. Didn't stop the shaking but helped quite a bit.
They pulled her out of me at 1:36pm. She wasn't crying, not even moving. They passed her through a window into the next room where they would perform the surgery immediately.
|
 |
| Dr. Patel putting the ventilator tube down Sophie's throat to help her breathe. |
 |
| Dr. Barnhart (right) performing the surgery. |
 |
| The teratoma in her chest. 7cm by 4cm in what was supposed to be a tiny little body. |
Within just a few minutes they had the tube down her throat, chest open and teratoma lifted off her lungs. They were worried that her lungs wouldn't be developed enough to inflate, but they did just fine. A nurse kept us updated while they finished up with me.
Welcome to the world Sophie!!
A year later we celebrate not only her birth but the fact that she lived. The teratoma was a big concern, of course, but throughout her stay at NICU there were so many complications popping up and so many times that we were scared she wouldn't make it a year. Between desating and turning blue countless times a day and infections that almost killed her, and then the scare in December when we thought the teratoma had grown back, we didn't know what to think.

But look at her now! The most beautiful fun-loving baby girl I've ever seen. We decided on "You Are My Sunshine" as her birthday theme. She is the sunshine in our lives. Through all the scary moments, hard times and bad news, she lifted our spirits and kept us positive with her beautiful smile and strong spirit. She is the strongest person I've ever known. She's gone through so many trials and before she even knew what she was fighting for, she fought to live. I am so proud to have such an inspirational daughter and so excited to watch her grow and celebrate many more birthdays.
 |
| BIRTHDAY GIRL! We did banana pudding with whipped cream for her instead of a cake because she gags on cake and even frosting. She'll normally eat pudding ok but of course today it didn't go so well.... |
 |
We had a pre-party BBQ because a lot of our guests were from out of town.
We served hot dogs and hamburgers with some yummy sides some of the guests brought. |
 |
| Fun pinwheels I made from a tutorial I found on Pinterest. |
 |
So grateful for my parents and my sister Heather for helping me with the tissue "pom-poms".
Also really glad they were there to help decorate, I don't think it would have turned out as cute if I had to do it myself! |
 |
| Sunflower cupcakes. Turned out alright if I say so myself! |
 |
| Sophie with her aunt Mia and cousin Sydney. |
 |
My dad Doug Mitchell, and Coden's dad Joe Schumacher talking "men talk" in the backyard.
I look at them and think of "mmphm".
|
 |
Coden's gorgeous step-mom Cyndi Schumacher and her beautiful daughter Bella.
|
 |
| Our friends Josh and Hailey Fox and Mr. No Name still cookin in the oven. |
 |
| The "kids table". Heathers cute kids having a picnic in the backyard. |
 |
| My mom Patti Mitchell and Coden's friends mom Mary Helen Stricklin. |
 |
LOVE when we get pics of grandparents playing with their grand babies.
Joe presumably "eating" Sophie's arm. |
 |
Cheltsy Moore and her ADORABLE boy Brody. Sophie and Brody were roommates
at Primary Children's Medical Center and this is the first time seeing each other since then!
He is just the sweetest little boy. All smiles and so dang cuddly. I wish we lived closer!
|
 |
Brody and Sophie chomping away on their fingers.
(This is probably the best shot so far of the shirt I made her. LOVE how it turned out.
SO easy I'll definitely be making more!) |
 |
| Little Lily enjoying a cupcake. |
 |
| Coden's beautiful little sister Mia. |
 |
| My sister Heather and my bro-in-law Wendell |
 |
| Mary Helen and Dan Stricklin |
 |
| Grandma and Grandpa Schumacher and her aunts Bella and Mia |
 |
| Grandma and Grandpa Mitchell |
 |
| Grandma Privett, uncle Ryan and aunt Chantyl |
 |
Coden's aunt Janice and cousin Cami Davidson
|
PRESENTS!!!
 |
| I love Sophie's expression in this one with her legs sticking straight out! |
 |
| Love my goofy dad! |
 |
| Cheltsy Moore and her adorable daughter Bailey. |
 |
| Bryce Moore and his precious Brody. LOVE all that hair!! |
We're so grateful to everyone who made it out here, especially since almost everyone had to travel quite a way. It was so fun to be able to see everyone all together. Can't wait till next year!
Awww that made me cry!! What a little miracle indeed! Dr. B rocks!! He did Jaydas surgery too ( i think I told you that)! She is SO precious! OMG!!! Now I dont know if Ive asked you this before but was the teratoma originally a twin or is that just cells that grow?
ReplyDeleteSorry, I'm horrible at replying. We're not really sure. There are so many different types of teratomas, only one of them is a twin. We never found out what hers was. I'm sure we could but honestly I'm not sure how much I want to know. If it's not a twin, great, but what if it was? I don't want to know that one became that and somehow ended up inside Sophie. That's actually the only reason I don't think it was. Teratomas are always on the outside of the body (except this one of course) so if it somehow ended up inside of her it had to have happened during development and it never would've gotten far enough along to actually become a baby, if that makes sense.
Delete