First things first. Went to Sophie's 1 year appointment today and she's finally on the graph! Not for weight of course, but length and head circumference. Dr. Clark isn't worried about her weight so long as she's growing elsewhere. This is the first time she's had a higher percentile than "0-1%". Her length is 11% and her head circumference 14%. That's my girl!

Remember on an earlier post I said that the pediatrician at the Neonatal Follow-Up was worried about my baby being anemic purely based on the color of her skin? And I thought that was ridiculous? Well Dr. Clark agrees with me. I brought up the concern with him and he looks at me speculatively, pokes me in the arm and says "Well you're pale." I just laughed and said that's exactly what I was thinking! Plus she has red hair and you name me a red head that isn't paler than the rest of us! Then he points out that the rosy color in her cheeks and lips has him convinced that she's fine. I laughed again and said "I KNOW! That's exactly what I pointed out to the other guy!! I've SEEN my girl anemic and I know what she looks like." So that's pushed aside and I'm sure that at least when it comes to my kids basic health, mama knows best. However, developmentally, maybe not so much.
She's growing but that doesn't mean the doctor wasn't concerned. He agreed with the Neonatal Follow-Up that she needs extra help in the way of speech therapy (mainly for eating to get over her aversion to texture) and physical therapy because he says she should be further along than she is. The stubborn part of me is still in denial. I've always believed that babies will do things in their own time, and while I still believe that about "normal" babies it's been hard for me to accept that my baby is not "normal" in that respect. I don't think any parent wants to admit that their baby is behind, and I know that my pride has been holding her back developmentally. No more. I want my baby to experience things and obviously I can't do that on my own. I want to make her puree's myself and not have her gagging on it because of the texture. I want to make dinner for myself and Coden and share some of it with her so she can try new foods. I want her to learn how to get what she wants whether it be army crawl, scooting or rolling over. She does none of that and so far shows no interest in getting things herself. She's content to just lay there after she loses a toy and stare at or eat her feet. She's a year old and it's suddenly becoming blatantly obvious how behind she is. So I'm putting aside my pride and we have an appointment with the speech therapist next Tuesday. It's bad, even as I'm writing this I notice that I'm grinding my teeth, pursing my lips and digging my heels in with frustration. Oh well.
On a little bit of a more random note.......
 |
| Sweet little cousins. Can't tell that there's only 7-8 months between them! |
 |
| I know I already posted this on Facebook but I can't get over this hat! |
 |
| And this....little ruffle bum. |
 |
| Love having a beefy "truck" as we call it. Heather and Wendell needed power to pull up their posts and we had it! (It helps that Wendell soaked the posts first so it was just soft mud it was coming out of but still...) |
 |
| Can't get over this pic. |
 |
| Sweetness at the park again! |
 |
| My cute little family thoroughly enjoying themselves. |
No comments:
Post a Comment