Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Oral Therapy

Before we get into the oral therapy, I keep forgetting to post these pics so here they are! I had Sophie sitting up holding on to my hands.....and then let go, and look at her! She sat like this for at least 10-15 seconds. I know that doesn't seem like much but when you think about it, it really is.
So proud of my baby girl! Still called Up to Three to see if they could send out a physical therapist because I want her to keep getting better. Waiting to hear back because they're closed for July 4th.



I took Soph in for her oral therapy appointment on Tuesday. Luckily she was a terror so she showed them what she does to me every time I try to feed her vegetables. It's hard because I prefer to make her puree's instead of buying them. She's always liked my fruit puree's and I've started making her vegetable puree's only recently. Until then I would buy the vegetable puree's so she could still try new tastes while I was learning. Unfortunately my vegetable puree's turn out more textured than the pre-made baby food, and she wants none of it. She still won't eat much, she can't eat any solids without gagging. Very frustrating. Her pediatrician was more than a little concerned about her lack of progress so he gave me the number of an oral therapist and suggested a physical therapist. The oral therapist "Harmony" said that since she seems just sensitive to food touching her mouth, not really sensitive to messes (which I am) I should put her naked in a high chair and let her play with her food. I regret my decision now to start with potatoes........looks like spit up. But I have a huge bag of potatoes and only I eat them so I need to get rid of them. She literally gagged at it on sight. As long as she could see it she gagged. It was suggested to use one of her teething toys as an aide. She could play with a toy she recognized and inadvertently eat the potatoes without realizing it. After a while it worked!


She kept dipping her hands in the potatoes and rubbing her eyes with them.

Using her teether as a spoon.


I have to say, I don't keep a perfectly clean house but I'm a bit OCD about my kid. Can't stand to have her covered in drool or food and especially hate feeding her graham crackers (though I'm excited that she gnaws on those!) because they're so gooey and disgusting. That being said I am perfectly willing to work on my aversion to messes so Sophie can get over her aversion to texture. 


No comments:

Post a Comment