Thursday, June 7, 2012

A year ago today...

It's crazy to think about what happened last year. A year ago today my water broke 13 weeks early. What's funny is that I was more excited than scared because I had been in some serious pain for a couple weeks and once my water broke I was finally comfortable. Turns out that was because at 27 weeks I had 30cm of amniotic fluid while a full term pregnant woman has 20cm. You know those annoying people who say "you look like you're going to pop"? Well no one ever said that to me but I did pop! 

27 weeks? Seriously? I know so many people who are pregnant right now and aren't nearly this big!
I can brag that I have no stretch marks though, HAHA!! I swear it's hereditary.


I remember I called my mom and told her my water broke and that I had all the symptoms of pre-term labor. She didn't believe me. :) I don't blame her though, seems unbelievable. She came over to pick me up and we went to meet Coden at the doctors office. I had called the docs office earlier and had to wait a few hours to go in...... now that I think about it that seems weird. Dr. Bednar confirmed what I already knew, then left to deliver a baby..... good thing I wasn't having contractions! Seriously?! When he got back they "rushed" me to the hospital (really, NOW we're rushing?!) to do a 3D/4D ultrasound to find out if something was wrong.


The ultrasound tech excused herself and came back with two doctors. THAT's when you know you should run. They sat there for a while talking quietly amongst themselves, then one turns around and says that there's a mass in her chest pushing her organs and rib to one side, there was fluid in her head (not in/on the brain thank heavens) and he highly doubted she would live. He let that shock sink in before saying that IF she had a chance at all it would be at the University of Utah hospital in SLC.  


They wrapped me in blankets, strapped me to a gurney and loaded me onto an itty bitty plane to life-flight me to SLC, all with my massive belly. NOT what I would recommend for those who are claustrophobic. Luckily they had me on this AMAZING medication that makes you all woozy and sleepy within seconds. Anytime I became coherent enough to hyperventilate I would signal to the lady to give me more drugs.

The next week and a half was hectic with all the different tests, waiting for results, meeting what felt like every doctor in the hospital, eating 3 delicious meals a day, and hearing every single day that I needed to understand that my Sophie was most likely going to die. Yeah, that sounds more serious than "she may not live", but it's the same thing. Just sounds harsher somehow.



Obviously my little firecracker proved them all wrong!


5 comments:

  1. It's quite amazing when they can prove everyone wrong! She is the cutest little thing. I think it will be fun to tell her that she truly is a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She does have quite the amazing story. But you know what? That's what happens with amazing parents! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an experience that was. But through it all you both stayed so positive. Even when the doctors said to prepare for the worst. That says so much about your faith. What a cute little miracle you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so adorable and your story is so touching! She is such a miracle! At least now we know how often doctors are wrong and say stupid things! Had we known that before it would've been much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! Cheltsy- We had no idea how often doctors were wrong until we went through this, just like you guys learned the hard way with Brody that not only can they be wrong but their ignorance sometimes can be dangerous! I think in our case it was just a matter of them separating faith and science. A lot of doctors have a hard time keeping those two together as they should be, but then again there aren't as many miracles as you would think. I'm sure even now there are those in that profession who read over our case study and think it was sheer luck, or only the skilled hands of Dr. Barnhart that saved our daughter. Dr. Barnhart is an AMAZING surgeon and we still consider him to be Superman, but I believe that if God wanted Sophie right away there's nothing he could have done to save her.

    ReplyDelete